News from East Boston's best information
The Historical Record on the
Battle of Battle of Chelsea Creek and Noddle's Island
East Boston historian Michael A. Laurano, at the
Brigadier General John Stark memorial statue at the Battle of
Bennington Monument in Bennington, VT.
“On the 27th of May, 1775 the then Colonel Stark led
a detachment of Massachusetts and New Hampshire volunteers to drive
off the live-stock from Hog and Noddle’s Islands (Orient Heights and
East Boston), crossing from Chelsea at ebb tide when the waters in
the creek between Chelsea and Hog Island was fordable.
The provincials were fired upon by the British and a
heated skirmish followed that culminated in the burning of the HMS
Diana and the capture of her cannon by the Colonials after the
schooner ran aground near the Winnisimmet ferry-ways…. Ten days
before the battle of Bunker Hill all of the buildings on Noddle’s
Island (East Boston) were burned by the order of Colonel Stark 'lest
they should be taken possession of by the British forces from the
ships in the harbor, to afford them shelter and an eligible position
for commanding the town...'”
(Source: Gen. Wm H. Sumner: History of East Boston,
July 18, 2010.
Historical Record on the Battle of Chelsea Creek Challenged